Cant Format External Hard Drive ??

Discussion in 'External and Flash Drives' started by strikeone, Apr 13, 2012.

1. strikeone

strikeone New Member

Hi im just wondering if anyone could help with a problem im having with my hard drive.The other day I plugged it into my laptop only to c a message saying "you need to format hard drive before u can use it" So I tried finding out a way to fix it so I didnt have to format.I found test disk and it found my hdd so I followed a tut on how to try and fix but I think I missed typed something in the parameters or something and it never helped with the hdd in anyway,in fact I think I just made the situation worse.

Now when I try and format it I get the message "you need to format disk before u use it" So I click format then I get a message saying windows was unable to complete format.
    I have tried formatting in disk management but it pretty much says the same thing :( Also the hdd is stuck on to read only.I have tried to change to full access but I sometimes get a message saying something like parameter is wrong,and then sometimes it says something about it cant change it because a cyclic redundancy check and theres is other times when I get the message saying it cant find the file specified :(

I would be grateful for any help u can give me.

The hdd is iomega,using a seagate barracuda hdd.

2. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Retired CHF Staff

Hi strikeone. Welcome to Computer Help Forums.
    I would run Killdisk and format again
    If you cant on the computer you are using then attach to another computer.
    http://www.killdisk.com/

3. strikeone

strikeone New Member

If I press kill disk on the hdd will I still be able to format after I have finished ?? And if I pause it can I switch my computer and hdd off (electrical powered)

4. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Retired CHF Staff

Why would you want to turn your computer off half way though??????
    Make sure you are erasing the external.
    Once it starts you can't touch or pause anything.
    Let it do it's job uninterrupted.
    Then format after.

5. allheart55 (Cindy E)

allheart55 (Cindy E) ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

If you have data on the external hard drive and don't want to lose it you may want to try and troubleshoot it first.
    If there is nothing you want to save, please follow the directions given to you by DSTM and use killdisk.

Use a command line to relocate the disk bu clicking on start and then run. In the run box type cmd and select the
    enter key or press ok. In the command line box type diskpart and at the diskpart prompt type rescan. Try to
    initialize the disk. It is also a good idea to run a disk check once the disk has been recognized. Using the letter
    designated for the external hard drive perform the following directions. In the command prompt type
    chkdsk X: /f. (Replace the X with the assigned external hard drive letter.)

6. strikeone

strikeone New Member

Killdisk didnt work.I went to 99% then said error and now when I plug the hdd back in it isnt recognised at all by the computer,whereas before even though it wasnt working it was still being recognised :(

7. allheart55 (Cindy E)

allheart55 (Cindy E) ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

Did you open a command line and run diskpart? Diskpart causes disk signatures,
    GUID partition table (GPT) disk globally unique identifiers (GUIDs), and GPT
    partition GUIDs to be generated. It also will locate and identify a previously
    missing or unrecognized hard drive. After using diskpart you should have been
    able to initialize the hard disk drive.

I recommended running chkdsk /f after diskpart because of your cyclic redundancy
    errors. I have a feeling that your external HDD is toast.