1. Welcome Guest! In order to create a new topic or reply to an existing one, you must register first. It is easy and free. Click here to sign up now!.
    Dismiss Notice

New laptop kerfuffle

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Derek Benvenuti, Dec 12, 2014.

1. Derek Benvenuti

Derek Benvenuti

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Hello Internet!

My parents recently bought a laptop for my grandma for christmas and instructed me to optimize it for her. Now, she's not the most technical person, so I decided to put Windows 7 on her Windows 8.1 laptop. So I burnt an iso of Win7 onto a disk and started installing when I ran into a problem, when I had to choose which partition to put Win7 on I couldnt choose any of them (6 partitions all of them are GPT). So I said "ok, I'll just exit the install and reset the defaults in the setup menu, restart the comp and switch it from GPT to MBR" so I did up to the restart and then was greeted by a black screen saying "internal hard disk drive not found".
    So my question is: How do I get my Win8 os back to change the partition type?

Many Thanks
    - Derek

2. Rich M

Rich M Guest

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Computer Brand or Motherboard:
    MSI Z97 PC Mate LGA 1150 Intel Z97
    CPU:
    Intel i7 4790K 4.0Ghz
    Memory:
    Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 2133
    Hard Drive:
    Crucial 256 Gb SSD+ WD Raptor 300 Gb Sata III
    Graphics Card:
    Radeon R9 280 2GB HDMI
    Power Supply:
    Seasonic 750 watt
    You have to go into the bios and diasble "secure boot" and select " legacy boot mode" for install.

3. Derek Benvenuti

Derek Benvenuti

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Did that. Started the install, got to the part where it asked me where I want to install the OS but it wouldnt let me because all the partition types are GPT. So I exited the install reset the values in the bios, restarted the comp and got a black screen. So it looks like my OS just disappeared on me.