No Shortcut Tab Under Properties

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by iphatal, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Offline
    iphatal

iphatal New Member

Recently I faced a task of changing the text in the target box on the "shortcut" tab under "properties" when right clicking the icon. I'm not sure when this problem first occured, as I don't think I've needed to open the shortcut tab before. Under properties, it does indeed state the the icon is a "shortcut (.lnk)." Also, I tried other shortcut files, but still no shortcut tab. The only ones that appear are, "General," "Compatibility," "Details," and "Previous Versions." I have heard that registry cleaners could be the cause of this problem, and I can't say for sure that I have never used one. However, I tried merging the proper reg file from a trusted source, but nothing changed. I am running Windows 7 Home Premium.
  2. Offline
    DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Retired CHF Staff

Hi and welcome to Computer Help Forums.
    It sounds like you made a folder shortcut, if it is a folder you won't have a shortcut tab,
  3. Offline
    PseFrank

PseFrank SUPER MODERATOR Super Moderators

I'm not exactly sure what it is you've tried to do, but to create a shortcut to any file/folder or application do this:-

Navigate to the file or folder that you want a shortcut for.
    Right click on that file and select " Send To ".
    From the flyout menu choose " Desktop (create shortcut) ".

To rename your new shortcut

Go to your desktop and right click on the new shortcut.
    Choose " Rename " from the menu.
    Type whatever name you wish.
    Click anywhere in blank space to finish.

Note: You can move the new shortcut to any other folder you wish.
  4. Offline
    iphatal

iphatal New Member

When I right click and then scroll over "send to" there is no "Desktop (create shortcut)" option. However, when right clicking the .exe an option appears in the drop down menu called "Create shortcut." I click that which does give me a shortcut file, then I drag that shortcut to my desktop. I am positive that the shortcut I am trying to change is indeed a proper shortcut file. My goal here is to change the target of the shortcut, not just simply rename it. -Thanks
  5. Offline
    Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev SUPER MODERATOR Super Moderators

In front of a monitor in Blackburn Lanc's UK.
    Ah and hi, I actually don't think it is possible to change the target that a shortcut goes to, though I may be wrong and it is possibly a long winded registry change, but I may be wrong on both counts.
    However if it were me, and I knew where the target is, I would delete the now wrong desktop icon, then go to the target itself and create an icon for it via the method above, surely much simpler?

Nev.