PC gets Stuck on Black Screen with Mouse Pointer during startup

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by buzzman, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Offline
    buzzman

buzzman New Member

I have a gateway DX4831 windows 7 desktop computer. When I try to startup it says Windows Error Recovery and I can choose to startup in any of the 4 choices but each one goes to Starting Windows but then gets stuck on a black screen with a mouse pointer. I did not change anything with the computer recently. I read that maybe I should install new drivers but I can't get to a screen where I can do that. I tried holding F8 at startup and get to the advanced Boot Options screen but the up/down arrow on my keyboard does not seem to work correctly. when I push the down arrow it keeps going down to the next entry and gets stuck in a loop. then I can push the up arrow and it randomly stops on one of the choices a few seconds later.
  2. Offline
    DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Retired CHF Staff

Hi buzzman. I think your Hard Drive is the issue here and Windows can read your Hard Drive on boot.
    Have you got all your Data backed up?
    Can you get it to boot at all?
    Turn your computer off including at the wall socket, then reconnect and see if you can get it to boot up.
    We need to run CHKDSK.
  3. Offline
    buzzman

buzzman New Member

Thanks for the reply. I backed up my data 2 weeks ago so I don't want to lose 2 weeks of work. I did turn off power and restarted and have the same problem. I can only get to the screen that appears after pushing F8. when the computer tries to start up if just shows a completely back screen with the mouse pointer. How can I run CHKDSK?
  4. Offline
    DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Retired CHF Staff

Try this first.

Insert your Windows7 install disc and run until you see "Repair my Computer" bottom left corner of screen and click on that.
    Then select "Startup Repair" and follow the prompts. You may have to do it a couple of times.
    It's possible also it may have been an incorrect shut down causing this issue.

Can you boot into safe mode?
    Turn your computer off and unplug from wall socket and check every connection.
    Try with one stick of ram.
    Any beeps or messages?
  5. Offline
    buzzman

buzzman New Member

I can't find a windows7 install disc. Do those always come with a new computer purchase? I did find 3 dvds that I made after setting up the computer the first time. I have a Drivers & Applications DVD titled APPDRV1. I also have two Recovery Disc DVDs. But nothing happens when I load the DVDs maybe because I cannot get to a screen where the computer can read the DVDs.
  6. Offline
    PseFrank

PseFrank SUPER MODERATOR Super Moderators

DSTM made a good point when asking if you could boot into "Safe Mode". I'd be interested to know this as well.

Also to clear up any doubt as to whether or not your keyboard is working correctly, please try and borrow a known to be good keyboard from a friend or neighbour. Then we'll see if the arrow keys behave as they should?
  7. Offline
    Rich-M

Rich-M SUPER MODERATOR Super Moderators

No most pc's do not come with disks anymore, it saves the mfgrs a lot of money not to. Instead they put a restore partition on the hard drive so when your hard drives goes you have to buy disks from them if you want to install Windows to your system, that's part of why you think you got such a good price. And they are banking on the fact you didn't make the restore disks they nagged you to make when it was new as 1 out of 10 actually does that, so go to the head of the class.
    If you can get to F8 then the top listing on that screen is what you need, click "repair your computer" and after going to that screen choose .cmd prompt and make sure you are printing at "c" drive by typing in "c:" and hitting" enter" on the keyboard without the quotes. then type in chkdsk /r leaving the space I put in after "k" in before the "/". It will say it has to restart to do so so type in "y" and hit "enter on keyboard and restart to run...this can take hours and hours so don't panic but it should come up back to Windows. It would probably be a good idea to have the hard drive replaced after this as its really only a bandaid but as long as it boots, you can clone what is on it easily to a new drive using something like "copy disk" from EaseUs.
  8. Offline
    buzzman

buzzman New Member

I tried safe mode and the same problem happens. The keyboard is working correctly now. when I click F8 then repair your computer it says windows is loading files then select a keyboard input method and US is highlighted so I click next. then it takes me to a username screen and I can choose HomeGroupUser$, Family or John. If I choose Homegroup it requires a password but I don't know that or recall even setting one up so I can't get past this screen with HomeGroupUser$. But if I choose Family or John then I can leave the password field blank and click OK and it goes to choose a recovery tool. If I select John it says Choose a recovery tool for Operating System: Windows 7 on D: Gateway and I can choose 6 options.
    If I select Family it says Choose a recovery tool for Operating System: Windows 7 on D: Gateway and I can choose 2 options (startup repair or recovery management). I clicked startup repair and it says startup repaid could not detect a problem. If I choose recovery management then then I can choose completely restore system to factory defaults but I think this will delete all my files so I don't want that. I can also choose Restore Operating System and retain user data. It says the files will be transferred to C:Backup. I guess I could do this but I really don't want all my files from all the 50 folders put into one big C:Backup folder.
  9. Offline
    Rich-M

One of the 6 options is .cmd, what I suggested you need to use to run checkdisk and if you do that, you will not have to restore most likely. Just because it is creating one folder BTW is no reason to assume it will not maintain your folders when it copies them.
  10. Offline
    buzzman

buzzman New Member

I ran chkdsk but it still goes to the black screen with mouse pointer. I guess my only options appears to be to try to use the gateway restore option that automatically saves all my files but then I will have to re-install all my programs and it will be a lot of work.
  11. Offline
    Rich-M

Yes sounds like that is the next step sorry to say if checkdisk didn't clear it up.
  12. Offline
    buzzman

buzzman New Member

I did the Restore Operating System and retain User data but when I try to click on the C drive Backup folder to find my retained files it says You don't currently have permission to access this folder. then is says I must use the security tab. but when I click on C:\Backup Security Tab I cannot seem to change the permissions or click allow for the permissions for system
  13. Offline
    Rich-M